I know you have heard the phrase “location, location, location” in the world of real estate. Location is just as important in the addition of adding your new screened porch to your home and yard. When considering the addition of any outdoor structure to your home there are several factors to take into consideration. In essence about 95% of the screen porches we build are located on the back of the home; the remaining 5% are built as freestanding or detached structures or in locations other than the rear of the home.
Where, oh where on my house should my new screened porch be?
The most important consideration in deciding the best location for your screen porch is to address the spatial and functional needs that are important in regards to your lifestyle. If you are going to use your space for dining, for instance, you may choose to create an area within close proximity to your interior (or in some cases) your outdoor kitchen. Functionality is important in choosing placement that is ideal for your individual needs, but structural influences will usually dictate the most realistic area your screened porch should be.
A good exercise is to go into your backyard with a tape measure and think about where you want your boundaries to be and where you want to begin the screened porch. We recommend centering your back door in the space as a good place to start to get a good idea of your desired starting and stopping points.
Structural influences such as doors and bump out swill dictate where your screened porch should begin and end. Utilities can also play a role in placement of your screened porch. Typically, when houses are built utilities like A/C units, water spigots, gas meters and vents are placed in the most inconvenient places in terms of adding on. In many cases we can work around the utilities or we can help to get them relocated.
A consultation with a qualified and reputable builder is key when considering a screened porch addition because many times the design of your house and roof will dictate how and where the screened porch will tie into your home. If roof lines are an issue, a sidewall connection is the answer. A licensed professional will also consider the details that are often overlooked when considering the addition of a roofed structure such as loss of light within the home. Adding a screened porch can impact the amount of natural light that flows into your home. The roof for your new outdoor addition will likely affect the area within the home’s interior that is the closest in proximity to the new porch; this can many times be amended by the addition of skylights within your screen porch. We take all these factors into consideration when designing your new space because overlooking the smallest nuance can mean the difference in falling in love with your new outdoor space or leaving you with regret over the small things you should have considered before construction began.
If you are considering the addition of a combination outdoor structure that includes a screened porch and deck or patio combination then you need to consider additional factors such as harmony and flow and how each structure will function together. With combination structures the grade of your lot is also an important consideration. If you have a relatively flat area then consider adding a patio or deck. Patios are less expensive to build on a flat grade than a deck. If you have a steeper grade then the opposite is the case because a patio would require more aggregate and retaining walls.
No matter where you decide as the most advantageous location for your new screened porch it will likely become your favorite room in the house, and the space you gravitate to during the outdoor living season. With fall in the air now is the best time to begin your screened porch addition. You may even get to enjoy some of the colors of autumn from your new screened porch before the arrival of winter.
Contact Archadeck of Columbus to help you decide on the perfect porch, or outdoor living combination as well as the perfect way to tie it all together. Call for a free consultation: ( 740) 879 – 3730 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
You can get more ideas for the perfect placement of your screened porch by visiting our screened porch gallery located on our website.